Saturday, March 16, 2013

Portrait of an Artist: Rieko Fujinami


            I was originally drawn to this portrait because of its daunting very encrypted imagery. I found myself constantly scrolling back to it so I knew it was the piece I should write about. There was instantly a sense of torture and struggle to the piece that I myself could feel in the pits of my stomach as I stared. When reading whom the piece was on I found that Fujinami had relayed her personal feelings for the piece very well to the viewer, since she wanted the piece to she the inner struggle of her friend, Aki, who was also a contemporary Japanese woman artist. Aki though unlike Fujinami chose to be wed in a very traditional Japanese manner and in that way lost a lot of her freedoms in her artwork and personal career as an artist. Fujinami wanted her piece to show Aki’s inner turmoil. “On the surface there was love and calmness, cooperation and harmony, but underneath that I saw complex layers of ambivalence and struggle between love and irritation, calm and impatience, passion and resignation.” Fujinami not only takes influence from close personal friends and family but also from strangers, books, mythology, world news, and American and British TV shows. She also works in a variety of strange and challenging media’s and surfaces, such as fresco, etching, copper tempera, painting on clear film or mirror and many more. She has developed a very in-depth process of dealing with these difficult materials making her work very difficult and very involved to produce and yet her style is so soft that it seems nearly effortless to take in. This all in all making Fujinami a fascinating and very endearing artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment